Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Love Notion Celebration - Maggie Mash



Its no secret if you know me that I am a big love notions fan. I love Tami and her patterns, and I have had the immense pleasure of being able to test for many of her patterns since I started my sewing journey. Much of what I know now is because of Tami and her patterns.

Now I get to help share in the excitement of 10000 group members in Love Notions Pattern Support group on Facebook, her 50th pattern release and Love Notions birthday! This next week will feature many guest blog posts, competitions and more! So make sure you join the group if you haven't already and take part in the celebrations and win yourself some amazing prizes! Don't have any patterns? There are 2 that are free (join the group to find out how to get them) and also all patterns are 50% off on the website Love Notions if I didn't already own every single one.. I'd be buying them all!




You may or may not be aware of one of the soon to be released patterns, the Maggie and Margot Peplum top? I was one of the testers for girls version (Maggie) and when I was looking for inspiration of what to make for my miss 12 year old I came across a lot of peplums that were paired with a pencil skirt, and lots of high - low peplum tops and I thought.. I would love to make a high - low peplum dress! and with my current stash of patterns from love notions I had just the patterns to do it!

What did I need to make this vision a reality?

  • Maggie pattern, size 14. I love the look of the princess seams and pleated skirt so I went with that one.
  • Sybil Skirt my daughter fits the size small ladies (I wonder if we can convince Tami to make a girls version of the sybil???)
  • Tutorial on how to make a high low skirt, this is what I used high Low tutorial 
  • Material, I had some gorgeous zebra poly knit that my daughter loved, I bought it from spotlight here in Australia and ponte for pencil skirt part of the dress
Construction was pretty straight forward, I made the front of the peplum skirt as the pattern said, and modified the back part of the peplum following the tutorial .



I followed the instructions for the bodice and sewed that all together.

The only difference I made, was I sewed the side seams of the bodice together before attaching the skirts. I thought it would be easier to attach in the round for the peplum and the pencil skirt portion of the dress.

For the pencil skirt, I didn't include the waist band and was very happy to see that the pencil skirt size small matched up perfectly width wise for the bodice! its almost like they were destined to be sewn together.

To complete the dress Peplum skirt was lined up right sides together with the bodice, and the pencil skirt wrong sides together with the bodice. These encloses the seams of the skirt portion.. I love that finish.

I also roll hemmed the peplum skirt, because.. well lazy :P


Peplum skirt and bodice right sides together, pencil skirt and bodice wrong sides together.

Another little trick I did was top stitched the seam down under the peplum skirt, down onto the pencil skirt. Especially with the pencil skirt being ponte it helped to make everything sit much nicer. You could top stitch over the peplum skirt, but i'm not a big fan of how that looked.


And the finished result? are these photos. My vision became a reality and its all thanks to Love Notion patterns! The poly knit draped beautifully and the ponte holds its shape really well for the skirt. Its turned into the perfect tween dress, ideal for when they want to be dressing a little more sophisticated.

Make sure you check out all the blog posts this week, and join in on the fun in the support group! be sure to share your creations we would love to see them <3

Princess seams, even with the same fabric just add an extra touch!







Love Notions would like to thank all of the amazing bloggers on the tour. Please be sure to stop by and see what awesomeness was created! And don't forget the guest bloggers participating each day on the Love Notions Blog!




 

2 comments:

  1. That is so lovely - great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful and that outfit is amazing on her! Thanks for joining the tour!

    ReplyDelete